How and why are bred flies
• How and why flies are bred
This is the story entrepreneur Igor Istomin, who built the present Mushin farm. Igor explains why flies - it is not really nasty, like the larvae to survive to help the little pigs and chickens, and why a small factory for the production of insect larvae should ever appear on each poultry farm.
As a child I was one oddity. More precisely, the oddities I had a lot, but now I will tell only about one. I really like flies. Parents hung in our country house Velcro from insects and from time to time with them on the table fell halfway immobilized, poor and dying flies. I picked them up and put in a transparent box with holes for air - it was a hospital. When another insect, despite my best efforts, still dying, I seem to be very frustrating. I also like to put a fly into his hand and watch as it crawls over it - the hand when it was pleasantly tickled. You probably grimaced, dear reader? That's the same curve and my parents. And they said, "Julia, do you have any idea where they went to these legs?".
It is believed that adults better versed in everything, and the children should listen to them, no questions asked. But in regard to the flies, I in the five years seems to be closer to the truth than my parents.
- You know, Julie, people very much believe in different patterns, - says Igor Istomin I, the founder of "New Technology" - a small farm, which bred maggots to create environmentally friendly Bio forages and fertilizers. - When you talk to people about the flies, they immediately imagine all sorts of sewage, toilet and rot. But, firstly, if there were not these insects, our planet long ago would have been covered many kilometers of fiber bodies, because they would be processed more slowly. And indeed, studies have long shown that there are antimicrobial environment around each fly. Yes, this insect swarms up trash, but then it thoroughly washes the foot, which has a thin chitinous hairs. These hairs secrete mikrosekret which disinfects all. A fly larvae in Napoleonic times used to clean wounds hardhealed - they perfectly remove necrotic tissue and preserve the living intact. Mikrosekret rich immunomodulators, and healing is faster. In America, this method today is sometimes used in surgery.
By 2014, Igor Istomin engaged appliances, but with the onset of the crisis times has decided to sell his business and start some new promising business. Friends invited him along to build a small factory for the production of maggots, and Igor has invested in this company the money from the sale of the business.
- In fact, earlier, even before you start trading appliances, I was a coach for swimming, - says Igor. - And the good. So that biology was close to me, I am well versed in it. It seemed to me, that the production of fish maggots - is somehow superficial, larvae excretion can give the world much more than just bait for the fish. I became more deeply explore this topic, I was helped by my sons, and as a result, by 2015, we have made them the first experimental batch of excellent protein feed, and in January 2016 showed it in Moscow at the exhibition in the Exhibition Center.
As explains Igor Istomin, any new technology he had not come up with - everything is done by nature. Flies live in the world for more than twenty million years - they have survived the Ice Age and many other natural disasters, unlike the mammoths, dinosaurs and Mauritian dodo. So, in the body of the insect, there is something that contributes to the survival.
- In the wild, animals, birds and fish are fed something discarded waste digestion, and eventually die - Istomin says. - As soon as this happens, the place of death immediately fly swarms of flies and lay eggs. And the eggs hatch into larvae, which quickly recycle the waste. Moreover, these larvae are an excellent food for other animals, and recycled waste - a magnificent plant fertilizer. Nature everything is invented for us. We just have this mechanism and put it under a roof - decided to see what would happen if you make this his own firm.
In any agricultural enterprise, whether it is poultry or fish hatchery, formed a lot of waste. For example, the die-off of birds of five to seven percent - the chickens are killed periodically due to a weak immune system or something yourself break. More enterprises always have food and vegetable waste, and all they bring a lot of trouble - they have to be stored, disposed of, add special acidifiers to two years the waste turned into fertilizer and you can take them to the field. If all this is not done, there may be a problem of environmental services. As explains Igor Istomin, his "Mushin farm" could be a perfect example of non-waste production, and did not have to spend time and money on waste management on farms.
- We breed a fly called Lucilia Saesar, this is a common green Synanthropic padalnaya fly, - Igor explained. - However, we call it just Lucy. We have insectarium with the cells, where they live adult flies and constantly goes interbreeding of different kinds and generations. On average, each fly lives of twenty-one to twenty-four days, so those insects who now live in our insectarium never seen the outside world and are markedly different from those whom you meet in nature. For example, they have a much higher egg production, because here we have, different generations are constantly crossed in a closed environment.
in each cell insectaries LIVE about two hundred thousand individuals FLIES on the farm five such cells, for a total of about one million PRODUCTION OF FLIES.
They feed on sugar and milk powder and drink water. In each cell there is a small box - Igor called her a "lunchbox" - minced meat inside. "New technologies" working with poultry farm, which is specially for this gives the birds, which could not survive.
- The lunchbox has small holes, - says Igor Istomin. - Flies - because they are shy. So they fly there to breed, and make the laying on the stuffing. Every day comes technologist takes lunchbox with clutches and sets new. And the old - with clutches - moves into the nursery shop.
In the nursery there is a special workshop cupboards with trays where the employees of the company are placed masonry and add more fresh meat. Then the eggs emerge larvae and feed them. During the growth of larvae of flies much ammonia is isolated, however, each rack is connected to the ventilation air from which when going outside passes through a special microbiological filter.
FOR FOUR DAYS EACH GRUB grow in three hundred and fifty-four hundred times, and per gram LARVAE TO two hundred grams of meat.
Stomach do not have, so to say that they eat the meat, it would be wrong. They secrete the larval meat juice, which is rich in enzymes and nutrients. Under their influence the meat quickly decomposes and turns into mush, and then the larva of a lot of time passes through a resulting substance. Due to this, it grows, and the resulting substrate is enriched with enzymes and becomes useful.
After three to five days, when the larvae grow, they will get along with the meat substrate is taken to a special shop. To separate the larvae grown on the substrate, all together dumped on a fine mesh - larvae crawl through it, and the dry fiber mass, which was once the meat remains on the grid.
Then the substrate is collected in a bag and leave for a day. At a temperature of 65 degrees it burns out under the influence of anaerobic bacteria. Then it is dried and milled.
- It turns out a wonderful organic fertilizer - boasts Igor Istomin. - It kills soil any bugs that eat the roots of plants, and harvest will be doubled. In the land enough to add just a pinch of the substrate.
While in one enterprise department of processed meat make fertilizer, in another department larvae turn to feed: they are processed, cleaned and dried at a temperature of not more than 70 degrees in order to save nutrients and not to destroy the protein. Then pulverized. Obtained oily flour with a high protein and lipid acids - BLK, protein-lipid concentrate.
- The BLK has natural melanin polymers and chitin, - says Igor. - They help strengthen the immune system. For example, pigs most difficult period - a transition from mother's milk to a regular diet. Part of the gastrointestinal system more fragile animals can not cope, they get sick and die. If seven days before being transferred to the feed start adding in milk BLK, for half a gram per kilogram of body weight, and then still have to add it to the food for ten days, then the result will be one hundred percent. Piglets stop aching. And if you add a bit of BLK to feed pet dog or cat, she will improve the immune system and it will be easier to pass the moult, the activity increase.
Today, the majority of the agricultural production of animal protein is obtained in the form of fishmeal. But she has risen eight times, and fish stocks in the world is gradually running out of the last fifteen years, because it turns out that animals compete for it with a man. At the same time the need for animal protein production is enormous - in Russia, their annual deficit amounts to about one million tons. It turns out, an urgent need to look for alternative sources of protein. And Igor Istomin, believes he has found a source.
- Imagine if in every poultry farm was a small shop like the one we did at home, - he says. - For it is not necessary to pay recycling, and here, at the workplace, it could make excellent fodder. This would give, and weight gain, and decreased morbidity. In Russia, this technology started coming up in the 70's of last century, but it was all at the level of research and remains within the laboratory. We try to get it out in real life.
However, it became clear that to establish waste-free production in Russia is not so easy - it simply does not have the regulatory framework. First, a long time it was impossible to certify product - firms that are engaged in, did not know how to work with the dried larvae. Then it turned out that by law, the biological waste should be incinerated, burrow or subjected to heat treatment. No other methods provided by the processing. So you have to repeatedly demonstrate the new technology and prove to everyone that it works.
So far, the company remains unprofitable Igor Istomin: it began to make a profit, you need to greatly expand the area and hire more workers. As long as capacity is only enough for the production of pilot batches - them as probes sent to factories to be able to test a new food and to compare it with fish meal.
- Now there are several companies who are ready to buy from us BLK. Especially because the fish meal is from 80 to 120 rubles per kilogram, depending on the quality, and our product - 100 rubles. That is, it has all the chances to force the flour. But that production was at a loss to us, we need to produce eight to ten tons BLK per month, as long as it turns out only one.
We are looking for investors and hope to get a government grant to study. But with investors is difficult to - you know, interesting person to buy ready-made milk than a cow, which will give it milk. So today we are separated from commerce about 12 million rubles, and six months of work. But when it happens, we want to do something like a showroom - even factory owners come and see how everything is arranged, and bought us such modules recycling. We will come and build the same in their business - get something like a franchise. A seed fund would still be with us. And we are well, and enterprises, and nature, and the state. Finally Igor Istomin asks me if I have ever seen a pickled beetles in banks - in Asia, these can be purchased in supermarkets, and people eat them periodically. I say that not only seen, but also tried - nothing special.
- You see, - sighs Igor. - There, in the East, people have understood what can not understand us. After all of the larvae can make excellent protein supplements are useful for people. We have a few friends of athletes who are buying our RBL and knead themselves with honey for breakfast. But it's athletes. And most people are afraid to try this. All stupid stereotypes.