7 interesting facts about the ratatouille
• 7 interesting facts about ratatouille
Ratatouille - vegetable stew-southerners poor, today it won the love not only the French, but also around the world.
1. The word "ratatouille", according to "Historical Dictionary of the French language", first mentioned in 1778. It consists of two parts: rata - "food" and touille - "stirring".
2. It is believed that the classic recipe for ratatouille (onions, colorful bell peppers, zucchini, eggplant and tomatoes) first appeared in Nice at the end of the XIX century, but not the name of the cook or the exact name of the restaurant history is not retained. How to cut vegetables - sliced or diced - a consensus does not exist. It all depends on the time that you are willing to spend on cooking. Cubes cook faster.
3. The precursor ratatouille - a dish called "de legyum Bohemia", which loosely translates from French as "vegetables-chop." For several centuries it was prepared by the poor peasants in the south of France, in Languedoc and Provence. Vegetables quickly and abundantly grown in the hot southern sun.
4. Although considered ratatouille vegetable dish, some housewives in Languedoc added thereto to sytnosti slices of smoked bacon (lyardon), exactly the same as in Spain adjacent slices of meat or fat is often put in gazpacho.
5. From the "ratatouille" - ratatouille - there is a slang word rata. It is not very high-quality product mix. French soldiers in the XIX century the word "rata" called meat with vegetables or simply reheated leftover food.
6. Dish of eggplant, zucchini, peppers, related Ratatouille, prepared throughout the Mediterranean. In Spain it was called "Pisto" in Catalonia - "samfayna" in the Basque Country - "piperad" in Turkey - "Imam bayaldy" in Italy - "Caponata". 7. In Languedoc ratatouille recipe, unlike the Provencal, a lot of tomato sauce. In Languedoc tomatoes were quite early, at the end of XVI - early XVII century, from neighboring Spain. And from there they were brought to the French capital at the end of the XVIII century. During the French Revolution, a bright red tomato sauce that resembles the color of blood, it came into vogue. Some people from the south of France did at the time, the state in the supply of tomatoes, which was then called the vegetable, the fruit. Therefore, the French chef tomatoes often used for desserts Example Italians.
Ratatouille in Languedoc prescription Annette Tech, chef BK in Montagnac, Languedoc
Languedoc - historical region of France, bordering Spain. In ancient times, through Him, Pont du Gard, Beziers and some other cities of the region took Domitia road. It connected Rome with the Spanish Empire lands. Road paved in the reign of the consul Gnaeus Domitius Ahenobarbus in 122 BC. e., by the name of the Roman consul, and it got its name.
to 6 servings Ingredients
3 peppers (red, yellow, green - on one piece each)
1 kg of tomatoes
3 garlic cloves
30 g capers
olive oil for frying
4 sprigs fresh thyme
3 bay leaves
a few sprigs of parsley
1 tablespoon raspberry vinegar
half a teaspoon of sugar
juice of half a lemon
Peel the onion, cut off the tails from the zucchini and eggplant. Tomatoes incision in the cross, scald and peel. Baking drizzle with olive oil. Share it peppers and bake at 175 degrees for 10 minutes. Turn the peppers and bake for another 10 minutes. Ready to shift the peppers in a plastic bag, tie and leave for 20 minutes. When the peppers have cooled, cut them from the stalk, seeds removed, cut into cubes.
Onions, eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, cut into small cubes. Each vegetable stew in turn on a hot pan, previously greased with olive oil. Eggplant while frying lightly sprinkle with lemon juice. Tomato stew in the least with the addition of half a teaspoon of sugar. All the vegetables separately to salt and pepper while frying.
Reheat in a skillet over medium heat a little olive oil. Put fried onions, zucchini and eggplant, add a little olive oil, add pepper and a good mix. Add fire. Simmer stirring constantly. After 10 minutes, add the squeezed garlic. Mix. After 3-4 minutes, add salt and pepper to taste.
Season with ratatouille stewed tomatoes. Add the thyme, bay leaf and chopped parsley. Pour the raspberry vinegar. Add capers. Mix well, cover and leave to stew over low heat for 30-40 minutes. The finished dish can be fed and cold and hot.