10 stunned facts about mathematics that will please even the humanities
• 10 stunned facts about mathematics that will please even the humanities
Even if you do not understand the math, even if the school hated the subject, even if you consider yourself pure humanist ... In general, in any case - the facts you like, guaranteed!
1. English mathematician Abraham de Moivre in old age, once discovered that the duration of sleep increases by 15 minutes a day. Amounting to an arithmetic progression, he set a date when it would reach 24 hours - 27 November 1754. He died that day.
2. Religious Jews try to avoid Christian symbols and signs in general, similar to the cross. For example, some students of Israeli schools instead of the "plus" sign writing, inverted repeats the letter "t".
3. The authenticity of euro banknotes can be checked by its serial number, letter and eleven digits. We need to replace the letter on its serial number in the English alphabet, stack it with the rest of the number, then add the result digit, until you get a single digit. If this figure - 8, the note is genuine.
Another way to check is folded like numbers, but not letters. The result of a letter and numbers must match a particular country, as the euro is printed in different countries. For example, Germany is X2.
4. There is an opinion that Alfred Nobel did not include a list of math in their premium disciplines because of the fact that his wife cheated on him with a mathematician. In fact, Nobel was never married.
The real reason for ignoring the Nobel of mathematics is unknown, but there are several hypotheses. For example, at that time there was already a prize in mathematics from the Swedish king. Others - Mathematics do not make important inventions of mankind, because this science is purely theoretical.
5. Reuleaux triangle - a geometric figure formed by the intersection of the three circles of equal radius a centered at the vertices of an equilateral triangle with side a. Drill made based on the Reuleaux triangle, a square hole allows drilling (the inaccuracy of 2%).
6. Russian mathematical literature zero is not a natural number, and in the western contrary, belongs to the set of natural numbers. 7. The American mathematician George Dantzig, as a graduate student of the University, once late for a lesson and accepted written on a blackboard equation for homework. It seemed harder than usual, but after a few days he was able to execute it. It turned out that he decided two "unsolvable" problems in statistics, over which fought many scientists.
8. The sum of all the numbers on a roulette in a casino equals the "Number of the Beast" - 666.
9. Sophia Kovalevskaya became acquainted with mathematics at an early age, when her room was not enough wallpaper, instead of which were pasted sheets Ostrogradskii lectures on differential and integral calculus.
10. In the state of Indiana in 1897 was released bill, the legislation establishing the value of pi to 3, 2. This bill did not become law due to the timely intervention of a university professor.