History icebreaker "Baikal"
• The history of the icebreaker "Baikal"
"Baikal" - steam steam-powered icebreaker fleet of Russia, acting on the Baikal lake in 1899-1918, respectively.
At the beginning of 1895 at the suggestion of the Minister of Transport Prince Khilkov posts began construction of a ferry across Lake Baikal for the Trans-Siberian Railway.
To this end, December 30, 1895 a contract was signed with the British company "Sir VG Armstrong, Whitworth & Co" for the manufacture of unassembled icebreaker ferry without wooden works with spare parts.
In the spring of 1896 the icebreaker was disassembled delivered to the assembly in the village Listvenichnoe.
Workers in the shipyard on Lake Baikal
After three years of construction was launched on June 17, 1899.
Descent icebreaker 07/17/1899. The village Listvenichnoe
Before commissioning Circum-Baikal railway operation in 1905, "Baikal", and later built "Angara" daily committed on two trips between piers Baikal and Mysovaya.
Icebreaker "Baikal" on station "Baikal"
Summer marina icebreakers
After that ferry operated as a backup, ensuring uninterrupted passage of trains on the line. Icebreaker on the pier
Since the beginning of the Civil War the ferry was at the disposal of the red and was armed with cannons and machine guns. After leaving red Irkutsk "Baikal" I was allotted to the pier capes, where, after the retreat from Irkutsk, the headquarters of the institution and the rear red.
Icebreaker "Baikal" in the ice of Lake Baikal
The icebreaker "Baikal" when leaving the dock Tankhoy
In August 1918, Icebreaker was shot field artillery and burned down at the wharf Mysovaya.
Internal view burnt icebreaker
In 1920, after the water pump, burned-out hull of the vessel was towed to Port Baikal, which stood, at least until 1926; It was then cut into the metal. There is a possibility that the lower part of the body is still at the bottom of the lake at the mouth of the Angara River. But certainly kept the front screws and a portion of the power plant.
Icebreaker "Baikal" in the harbor on the shore of Lake Baikal